Irish-language Ethos & Immersion Education
Gaelscoil na Mí is an Irish-Medium school where we endeavour to create a mini-Gaeltacht for our students. The Irish-language therefore is:
- The everyday language of the school
- The business and communicative language of the school
- The teaching and learning language in every subject except English
- The language of the teachers, the pupils and all aspects of the school
- The language of the Board of Management of the School
The most effective method of language learning is immersion and therefore Immersion education is the system of education used in Gaelscoil na Mí. This means that pupils are immersed in Irish from their very first day in school. The teacher speaks Irish only to the children from the beginning and very quickly they start to understand the language. Gradually they start to use more and more words and by the end of the first year in Gaelscoil na Mí all children are able to converse with their teacher and friends in Irish.
Please note that the speaking of Irish is an integral part of the school’s behaviour code and all parents and children are expected to comply with this element of the code.